Joint Commissioner of Commercial Taxes
1. Office of the Joint Commissioner, Commercial Taxes, Suri Charge, is an office under the Directorate of Commercial Taxes, 14, Beliaghata Road, Kolkata – 700015.
The office was established on 13/10/1969 and it is headed by the Joint Commissioner, Commercial Taxes. The whole of Birbhum District is under the jurisdiction of the office.
2. It is a revenue earning office. Its main functions are to get the dealers, Manufacturers, Retailers, Works Contractors registered under the West Bengal VAT Act’03, CST Act’1956 & West Bengal Sales Tax Act’1994 and to collect taxes under the said Acts by monitoring their business activities.
The unit also collects Tax, Penalty by search & seizure of books of the errant dealers.
3. All information interalia application form for registration can be gathered by navigating through www.wbcomtax.gov.in .
4. As a revenue earning office it has a credit of clocking always double digit growth.
Revenue earned for the following years recorded below.
2012 – 2013 → Rs. 5683.38 23.91
2013 – 2014 → Rs. 7602.43 33.76
2014 – 2015 → Rs. 9827.30 29.26
It is also noteworthy that in Rampurhat under Birbhum District, there is another office – Rampurhat Range which was established in the year 1991 – 1992. Way-side Checking, search & seizure of goods in a moving vehical are the functions of this office.
The whole of Birbhum & Murshidabad District are under its jurisdiction.
This unit is under Bureau III and the unit is headed by the Senior Joint Commissioner, Commercial Taxes.
Its revenue for the year 2012 – 2013 → 0.73 Crores
& 2013 – 2014 → 1.03 Crores.
5. Administrative set-up – Office of the Joint Commissioner, Commercial Taxes also called Charge Office is the lowest unit under the set-up of the Directorate of Commercial Taxes. Generally in one district, there is only one Charge Office.